Tuesday 9 September 2014

MoFo '14 Day 9 - Earth Balance Cheddar Flavor Squares


One of the new cheesy products I was most excited about trying on this trip to the US of A were these new Earth Balance Cheddar Flavor Squares. I'd heard so much about them on blogs, social media and, of course, the PPK forums. 


I have always been a cheese fiend and I used to order boxes of Eco Planet Cheddar Crackers from iHerb pretty regularly before they got discontinued and disappeared from markets everywhere. No amount of searching was bringing them back into my life and I was pretty sad about it - I loved those things, so as you can imagine my excitement levels (and expectations) were high as I went to grab a box of these new cheese squares from Wheatsville on our first day in Austin.


These little crunchy crackers are salty, cheesy and super moorish. They would need a touch less onion powder to be truly like my old favourite Eco Planet crackers (they were in fun shapes too!) but they're super good in their own right. I ate a whole box in one afternoon, bought another the next day and then ordered three more from Rabbit Food Grocery (who btw are planning to open a storefront before VVC happens next May, you can check out their Kickstarter here) to take back home with me so I'm calling them a mega win! Good job Earth Balance!

28 comments:

  1. Ooh, I did used to love Mini Cheddars, these sound great. My nearest cheesy fix at the moment is Butterkist Sour Cream and Chive Popcorn which is surprisingly SFV!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? I'll have to try it. Also Ten Acre are coming out with popcorn and I have my fingers crossed for something cheesy.

      Delete
  2. These sound really good! I hope you're going to have room in your suitcase to bring all your new food discoveries home :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh yeah mini cheddars used to be obe of my my favourite things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Earth Balance cheese puffs are really yummy too! I'm lucky no store nearby sells any of those Earth Balance "cheezy" snacks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like those too, I ate a lot of them when I was in Portland last year!

      Delete
  5. I had forgotten all about Eco-Planet crackers! And now I miss them dearly!

    Hopefully I'll soon have access to EB crackers.. for now we have the butters, the popcorn and the corn puffs. Not bad, but I want them. Did you try the sour cream and onion EB chips? I want to try those very badly too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I wonder what happened to them?! I didn't try the sour cream crisps, I wish I had now though because people keep recommending them!

      Delete
  6. I need to try these! They look so good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been wanting to try these ever since I first heard about them somewhere on the interwebs! Next time we take a trip down to Whole Foods I'm going to stock up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. these are so good! my fave way to eat them is a scoop of coconut-milk vanillia ice cream, topped with cinnamon apple chunks and crushed cheeze it! it's like apple pie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woah...you're kinda blowing my mind with your serving suggestion!

      Delete
  9. I love those crackers! The day (more like hour) they released them I drove to Wheatsville and cleared the shelf. Sorry fellow Austinites who went there in search of the crackers that day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm excited to try their boxed macaroni and cheese, I've been craving a non-homemade mac and cheese just like the old days. And the Cheese puffs are just so great, especially when they get stale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good! I think I prefer blue box to orange box but I think the majority of the internet disagrees!

      Delete
  11. I bought some of these when I was in the US earlier this year and brought them home with me. They are pretty tasty, we don't have anything similar available for vegans here. Earth Balance needs to go global quick sticks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I soo wish we had something like this here - I miss cheesy crackers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! Or I wish iHerb would at least start stocking them so we can get them delivered!

      Delete
  13. Ooh I really want to try those (and the Earth Balance mac & cheese)! Looks like Earth Balance are coming out with the best vegan cheesy products these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they totally are! I wish they would hurry up and come to the UK already!

      Delete

Talk to me!