Tuesday 7 May 2013

Kambi's and Cocktails.

Friday night saw me heading out of Brighton and into Hove for dinner and drinks with my friend Tabitha. We'd only really planned to get drinks but we both arrived starving and decided that cocktails on an empty stomach would be a bad idea - look at me all grown up & sensible now that I'm almost 30!

Kambi's was the nearest vegan friendly eatery and as I hadn't reviewed it before I thought we should give it a try. I hadn't ever eaten Lebanese food in Brighton before and we excitedly ordered the Vegan Meze for two. This comes with Houmos, Moutabal, Tabbouleh, Vine Leaves, Batatah Harra, Fatayer, Falafel & Salad.


I was really happy to get to try so many vegan menu items in one go and I wish more cuisines were presented like this so that you could try loads of different things. Out of the varied selection only the moutabal, fatayer and battah harra were new to me. At least that's what I thought! Upon tasting the moutabal I realised that it wasn't new to me at all but baba ganoush hiding under a different name! This was a-ok with me, I love baba ganoush and this one was truly delicious. The hummus was great too, super creamy, y'know the good restaurant kind that you can tell is made with plenty of oil and tahini, the vine leaves were also perfectly oily and fresh. Both myself and my dining companion enjoyed the new-to-us batatah harra which if, like me, you're in the dark, is a sautéed potato dish with coriander, garlic, sweet peppers & chilli. I'm pretty sure that the only chillies in this dish were the two whole ones balanced on top and I think I enjoyed it all the more for that reason! The falafel balls were crispy on the outside but a little unsubstantial on the inside, there were also only three which for a dish two people are meant to share is just silly! Overall we enjoyed the food itself but we definitely didn't think that it was worth £20! They either need to lower the price or make it a helluva lot bigger! Kambi's is located on Western Road a little way past Waitrose and right next to the (hopefully opening really soon) new Hove Iydea location.

Here's the real reason for our trip into Hove. Cocktails. Not just any cocktails though, oh no, it takes a lot to get me to cross that Brighton / Hove boundary and Boho Gelato teaming up with Slice Sussex for a monthly frozen cocktail night is definitely the kind of thing that'll do it!

It's no secret that I love Boho Gelato, they have at least six vegan flavours in the cabinet every day and as soon as the sun comes out I'm there at least bi-weekly for my gelato fix. Unsurprisingly when I heard about this monthly cocktail night I was super excited and couldn't wait to check it out. Neither of us had been to Slice Sussex before and we were pleased to find a really cosy relaxed cafe-style place with cute angle-poise lamps and comfy armchairs.

The menu had three dairy and three non-dairy cocktails and the lovely people at Slice Sussex happily looked into which boozes were vegan friendly so that we didn't have to do all of the work ourselves.

I started with a Mojito Slush and Tabitha went for the Negroneeevil, a concoction of blood orange and chilli sorbet mixed with gin but minus the vermouth and campari.


The Mojito Slush ended up being my favourite drink of the evening. Consisting of mojito sorbet, white rum and fresh mint this drink is the perfect summer refreshment. I think I'll be buying a tub of the mojito to bring home so that I can make these in my blender come proper summer time.

Next we both tried the Red Lotus, a mix of Lychee & Cranberry sorbet, vodka and cachaca.


This one almost tasted flowery and like a sweet (one that we couldn't put our finger on!), I really liked the light foam on top of the drink and it was Tabitha's favourite cocktail of the evening.

This is going to be my last Brighton based blog post for a little while, I'm heading to Seattle with Nick on Thursday to spend four or five days sightseeing and eating before we drive down the coast towards Portland for, well, even more eating! Then Nick leaves and I stay for Vida Vegan Con! I don't think I've ever been more excited about a trip...well, maybe the time Nick finally got on the plane to NYC!! I have a shiny new suitcase and an as yet untouched notebook to fill up with tips, plans and ideas from the con. I also cannot wait to finally meet up with old and new friends, I'll finally meeting people whose blogs I've been reading since '09! It's gonna be epic! I'll be trying my hardest to blog from the road, something I practiced in Manchester and actually enjoyed doing, so I'll see y'all soon!

10 comments:

  1. oh wow i could go for one of those right about now:) is it friday yet?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cocktail night looks brilliant. Love the idea of sorbets in cocktails. Have a brilliant trip! Can't wait to read all about it, especially Vida Vegan Con :)xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a Lebanese place Paul and I have been to a few times and I THINK it's Kambi's, but I can't remember. I went through a phase a few years ago where the only thing I cooked was Arabic food, and it was also the only food I craved.

    I really want to come for cocktails at Slice one night! Maybe in summer if I am feeling more up to it!

    See you soon IN PORTLAND!!£R£$"%V

    ReplyDelete
  4. I NEED to try this Lebanese place immediately!! It looks incredible. I hope you have an awesome trip, it sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eeee! Yay for travel. :)
    Only a month until I leave for Portland/Seattle/Vancouver/Hawaii. So excited.
    Can't wait to see the food you eat over there. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never tried Lebanese food before but it totally looks like something I could get down with.
    Those cocktails look goooood.
    I can't wait to hear about all the things that go down at Vida Vegan Con, so wish I could go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those cocktails look great, I've now got a hankering for blood oranges too....hopefully I can find some at the shops later.

    Have an amazing time in Seattle!! All I know of it comes from Frasier lol, I'd love to go one day. Can't wait to see your pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Frozen cocktails? Can't say fairer than that!

    Looking forward to more drool inducing trip reports...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy happy VVCtime!
    (Eyeing the Negroneevil.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds amazing! I'll definitely have to check it out the next time I'm in Brighton! ♥

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!